Why take this course?
This course teaches you how to be more personally effective in one-on-one or group situations, when making requests, gaining commitment, expressing personal opinions and coping with feedback. We’ll show you the difference between using persuasion versus manipulation, how to apply ‘pushing and pulling’ techniques and how to use the Five Ss to make a persuasive presentation. You’ll also learn storytelling techniques to extend your influence, how to apply neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) concepts to influence outcomes, and more.
Who should attend?
Anyone who feels they need to be more personally effective in one to one or group situations, making requests, gaining commitment, expressing personal opinions or coping with feedback effectively.
After completing this course, you will be able to
- decide between using persuasion versus manipulation.
- apply ‘pushing and pulling’ when influencing others.
- use persuasive techniques in your conversations and presentations.
- apply the 'Five S' Pattern to make a persuasive presentation.
- use storytelling techniques to extend influence.
- use neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) concepts in everyday influence and persuasion.
This course helps you learn or enhance skills you need to meet and apply these federal public service competencies, behaviours, policies or programs:
Key Leadership Competencies:
Engagement, Thinking things through, Excellence
Employee Effective Behaviours:
Thinking things through; Excellence: Delivering results through relationships with clients, users and superiors
What topics are covered?
Influence, Persuasion and Manipulation
- Influence, persuasion and manipulation: what are they?
- Three degrees of influence
- Three channels of persuasion
- Mindful and mindless persuasion
- Preparing to persuade
The Principles of Persuasion
- The 7 Principles of Persuasion
Becoming a Persuader
- Planning to persuade
- Building confidence
- Establishing rapport
- Getting and holding attention
- Creating the message
Telling Your Story
- Frames of reference
- The 'Five S' pattern
- Using stories to persuade
When and how much?
Course Code, Duration and FeeES2427 : 1 Day : $397.00
Some Upcoming Classes