After completing this course, you will be able to
- understand what Information Architecture is plus how to apply IA skills and techniques.
- apply a step-by-step approach to initiate, plan, conduct and complete an Information Architecture process
- verify and document Information Architecture deliverables
- communicate the Information Architecture to designers, developers and software engineers
Who should attend?Anyone who wishes to become an Information Architect or is is part of a team using UX principles in development of an information product including web/mobile apps.
Any prerequisites?Some familiarity with UX and human-centred design thinking would be helpful.
In addition to bringing your own tablet/laptop, we encourage you to bring your ongoing design to practice with.
Information Architecture Overview
- IA as a Data Science Discipline
- IA as an Information Product Design Discipline
- IA Components
- IA Tasks and Deliverables
- IA Skills, Techniques and Principles
- The Information Architecture Process
- Organization Systems
- Labelling Systems
- Navigation Systems
- Search Systems
- Controlled Vocabularies
IA Skills, Techniques and Principles
- Prioritized wish lists
- Whiteboard/chalkboard sessions
- Competitive analysis
- Audience and task analysis
- Focus groups
- One-on-one testing
- Meta-data Management
- Cognitive Load Analysis
- Mental Model Mapping
- Decision Making References
- Card Sorting
- Reverse Card Sorting
- Frameworks and Patterns
- Bottom-up architecture
- Faceted Navigation
IA Tasks and Deliverables
- User Research and Analysis
- Navigation and Hierarchy Creation
- Site-maps, Wire frames and Prototypes
- Taxonomies and Meta-data
- Data Modelling/Mapping
- Traceability and Validation of the Information Architecture
- Communicating IA to Designers, Developers and Software Engineers
The Information Architecture Process
- Workflow Options
- Pros and Cons for Short-term/Long-term Designs
This assessment will be a combination of written and multiple choice questions as well as specific coding tests.
Upon a minimum pass rate of 85%, students will receive a Certificate of Competency instead of the standard certificate of course completion.
Please Contact us for more details or specific needs.